Interesting People mailing list archives

Interesting reasons for Hollywood's slump....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:58:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: June 17, 2005 8:22:30 AM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () g2-forward org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Interesting reasons for Hollywood's slump....

Note what is NOT mentioned in the reasons for Hollywood's slump --- there is not a single mention of "piracy" anywhere. I guess "piracy" only is useful when trying to defend its sinking profits against technological change in
front of Congressional panels.....   -rf

Renting flicks beats out big screen
Associated Press
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/ THINGS0107/506170340/
1055/NEWS01&template=printart

LOS ANGELES - The parking's easy, and there are no lines at the concession stand: Most Americans now would rather watch films at home than in theaters, according to an AP-AOL poll. At the same time, almost half believe movies
are getting worse.

Hollywood is in the midst of its longest box-office slump in 20 years, and
2005 is shaping up to be the worst year for movie attendance in nearly a
decade if theater business continues at the same lackluster rate.

In the poll released Thursday, 73 percent of adults said they preferred
watching movies at home on DVD, videotape or pay-per-view. With more than two-thirds also saying movie stars are poor role models, it may take more
than a blockbuster or two to reverse Hollywood's slide.

Just 22 percent said they would rather see films in a theater, according to
the poll conducted by Ipsos for The Associated Press and AOL News.
One-fourth said they had not been to a movie theater in the past year.

"I just prefer to stay home and watch movies," said Mark Gil, 34, of Central Square, N.Y. "It's cheaper. ... By the time you're done at the movie theater
with sodas and stuff, it's 20 bucks."

Films are getting worse, said 47 percent in the poll. A third said they're
improving.

"I could watch movies without thinking I'm going to see people in bed
together and a lot of cussing. It has gotten much worse," said Tracy Drane,
38, who lives outside Dallas.

The AP-AOL News poll of 1,000 adults was taken June 13-15 and has a margin
of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.