Interesting People mailing list archives

"unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:12:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 11, 2005 3:22:18 PM EDT
To: "'Damien V. Del Porto'" <damien () delporto org>, 'Brad Templeton' <btm () templetons com> Cc: 'Bob Frankston' <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>, "'David P. Reed'" <dpreed () reed com> Subject: RE: [IP] "unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals.

Interesting that it's UDP based though the stream is designated NTSC or PAL. Now that we're starting to see DIVX and XVID DVD players starting to appear how long before these IP-based streams liberate themselves from the preset
parameters of TV and simply become streams.

That would allow a far more rapid evolution of protocols than HDTV or MPEG4. Instead of discussing what Congress should be legislating the marketplace will work -- just like it is in Spain and the US in increasing the bit rates
even if not as fast as I would like for now.

You should try to find out if you can get that 4mbps for yourself instead of
just using it as a video stream. Since it really is UDP it's a more
transparent story than today's cable modems and worth pursuing as an
opportunity to explore the policy and business issues.