Interesting People mailing list archives

Homeland Security has a sense of humor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:20:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: June 11, 2005 3:58:26 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Homeland Security has a sense of humor

Dave,

For IP if you wish...

There's so much bashing of the Department of Homeland Security, often for good reason. I happened to be in Canada when US border agents admitted the fellow bringing a bloody chain saw across. Canadian newspapers had a field day with the story.

When we drove back to Michigan from Ontario, we had some dinnerware we'd bought, so I made sure the boxes were readily accessed, and our receipts were handy. The Customs guy greets us with "Hi! What have you done while away from this great country of ours?"

"We were at a conference in Toronto."

"Did you bring anything back?"

"Yes, we bought some dinnerware."

"What was wrong with your old plates?"

"My wife was tired of them."

"Yeah, well, wives can be that way. Roll your back window down so I can see them."

He inspects the exterior of the boxes, glances around the back of my small SUV. Then he says, solemnly, "Collagen."

My wife and I stare at each other, bewildered.

"I'm sorry?" I ask.

"Yup. Collagen. If she's throwing away the old plates now, you're next. Welcome back to the United States."

We crack up laughing and drive away...