Interesting People mailing list archives

"NCLB: The Implausible Dream"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:41:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: June 11, 2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: "NCLB: The Implausible Dream"

NCLB's implausible dream

Jennifer Wilmetti
PERSPECTIVE

While the intent of the No Child Left Behind Act was praiseworthy, the means
put in place to achieve the goals are flawed in several ways.

1. This is an under-funded mandate. We are told to perform miracles for every student with a lack of necessary resources. I am supposed to make sure that all of my students read up to grade level, but yet I can't buy any books to
help me do it!

2. We have been told "all means all." In other words, when the act said that 100 percent of students would have to be proficient by the year 2013, they
meant all. This includes students who have disabilities that make this
completely impossible. By simply enacting a piece of legislation, it won't get rid of the fact that we have students with mental retardation, cerebral palsy, fetal alcohol syndrome, Down's syndrome, etc., who are never going to be able
to achieve this. Period.

3. Many people have started to call this act "No Child Left Untested," as that seems to be the focus of our teaching these days. How are we supposed to get these students up to proficiency when we never have a chance to teach them because we spend so much time testing them? We can test them until the cows
come home but that doesn't change the fact that as it stands we haven't
increased the amount of time that students spend in school. We have to find
the time to test them somewhere, and that time is coming from our
instructional time. Thus, we are teaching them even less than we were before
this act.

4. Finally, this act holds all school staff members accountable for student
achievement (or lack of student achievement). But we are missing two key
pieces of the puzzle: students and parents. Teachers can do everything
imaginable to increase learning but if neither of these groups buys into the package, nothing will improve. In Wyoming, none of the mandated tests are used to hold students accountable. Students learn this very quickly and fail to take these tests seriously. A couple of years ago, I was speaking with a class that included the valedictorian at our high school about the WyCAS test. When asked, the students, including the valedictorian, said that they hadn't taken the test seriously! If this young man, who was obviously bright and driven, didn't take it seriously, how many students did? And yet, this is one of the
measures of whether we as teachers are doing our job or not!

As for the parents, if parents don't care about education, students usually don't care either. Parents who don't read to their children, don't attend school functions, don't participate in parent/teacher conferences, fail to provide safe home environments, etc., are not doing their job as parents. The schools can try to educate them on the need for these things, but sometimes there is just no reaching them. Sometimes they are worried about making enough money to keep food on the table. Others are caught up in a web of drug abuse. The reasons are as numerous as the students who aren't making proficiency. Because no lawmaker wants to try to enact a piece of legislation that would hold parents accountable for their child's achievement in school, the law was passed that made the educators solely accountable. This isn't fair and it
isn't realistic. Education needs to be seen as a table with four legs:
teachers, school administrators, parents and students. If any one of these legs doesn't hold up its weight, the table will fall over and there won't be a
flat surface for the education to build on.

While I can agree that we do need to do something to reform U.S. education, "No Child Left Behind" is not the tool to do it. Let's repeal this act and
start fresh with realistic expectations. Let's include everyone in the
conversation, not just lawmakers. And we need to realize that we aren't going to be able to reform society through the schools. Reforming society as a whole
is a different conversation.

Jennifer Wilmetti of Rock Springs is a teacher.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/06/11/editorial/forum/ e223ef748e82be328725701c006ee83d.txt