Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:38:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Damien V. Del Porto" <damien () delporto org>
Date: June 11, 2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Cc: dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>, Brad Templeton <4brad () templetons com>, "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com> Subject: Re: [IP] "unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals.

The use of the word "subsidize" was my own... Most people's use of the Internet today, at least in the U.S. and Spain, probably doesn't require much more than the 512k downstream. Using the remaining Mbits seems like a smart way to add some dollars for minimal effort. And yes I *am* overpaying for my DSL, though in my mind that's less so as they keep doubling my speed for no money on my part (I started with them at 256/96!). Telefonica is only doubling because their competition is doing so, I have a friend that went in 6 months from 512 to 1mb to 2mb to 4mb. And they through in all national telephone calls as part of the fixed rate. The beauty of competition. It took all of my self control not to take pot shots at Telefonica in my original post, they act like you would expect a former monopoly to. It took over three months to get the TV-side of the service to work because of a computer-billing error.

If it makes you feel any better, I have problems using the Renfe site and I live here. What you see today is a site that was launched under a year ago. Like you say, transitioning to a market-oriented economy is not easy. That should never be an excuse, however. There are sectors of the economy (and, surprisingly, of government) that are way ahead of the curve. I don't know that I can pinpoint one difference, but I think its a human resources issue. The city of Madrid, for instance, has launched programs that use advanced technology. While I don't support the party in control of local government here, I have to give them credit for being on the ball about these types of things. I get surveys in the mail about public transportation where you help the city identify your use of the different means of transport, which you return to them by mail, phone or the internet. You can get warnings via SMS to your cell phone when there's a dangerously high temperature forecast for the day. You can "vote" via your cell phone on what you think their priorities should be (public parks, help for the elderly, etc.). All you need to make these things happen is the right person in the right job it seems.

Cheers,
Damien

Bob Frankston wrote:

This is why DSL was created in the 1980's -- interactive TV. It's not the unused portion -- it is DSL itself. It's the Internet connectivity that uses that "unused" portion left vacant when the US carriers failed to pursue TV route.

The use of the word "subsidize" is interesting -- exactly what does it mean in terms of the business structure? Either you're overpaying for DSL or the video service isn't economically viable in its own right.

In the US I think the carriers who passed on using DSL for its original purpose have decided to put all their money into a brand new fiber deployment that seems to repeat the original design point of DSL -- aiming at TV again rather than creating a more general purpose infrastructure usable for symmetric data transport with video being just one form of "content".

Note also that there are technologies available to increase the capacity of DSL-- check out http://www.dslreports.com

I’m going to be in Zaragoza this week and will see if I can learn more about this. As an aside, I find it interesting (and annoying) that according to Renfe one must be inside the country to buy a railroad ticket and their web site appears to only be available during business hours. Transitioning to a real marketplace is not easy.

As a different aside -- responding to another letter about the need to switch to DTV for ATSC -- it reminds me of the WAP/WML/HDML debacle. Cell phones "required" a special protocol rather than HTML. It was a convenient fiction that helped maintain their walled garden. It seems irresponsible to require a special infrastructure just for ATSC. It's like building a new version of the PSTN just as the whole idea of a special phone network is becoming economically untenable.