Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why are Movie Theatre Revenues Declining?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:00:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: TClaburn () cmp com
Date: July 19, 2005 6:41:37 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Why are Movie Theatre Revenues Declining?

Sadly, avoiding theaters is no longer a sure way to avoid ads. Too many DVDs disable the ability to bypass coming attraction previews, FBI warnings, and the new anti-piracy segments I've seen on rented DVDs recently. It's a rare DVD that loads the main menu directly (the extended version of the Lord of the Rings, for example). If theatrical revenues continue to decline, I'm sure we'll see more ads on DVDs to make up the shortfall. I wonder how long a business model based
on the idea that the customer is always wrong can last?

Thomas Claburn, Associate Editor
InformationWeek, CMP Media, Inc.
600 Harrison St., 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107
http://www.informationweek.com
http://www.lot49.com

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of CMP Media LLC, 600 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking action or reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.