Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Which is worse---Janet Jackson's breast or eating raw dead rats?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:09:38 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:12:31 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Which is worse---Janet Jackson's breast or eating raw dead
rats?

Dave,

For IP if you like... A few points in response to Robert Lee's complaint:

* I assume Robert is talking about In Demand's decision not to air a
three-hour Michael Moore special before the election that would cost
viewers $10 on pay-per-view. My reading of that, however, makes it sound
like a routine dispute over terms in a contract. Perhaps if Moore
weren't such a money-hungry capitalist and had let In Demand air it for
free, Americans would have the benefit of his trenchant insights:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=170253

* In Demand (not Comcast, which is a joint owner) was exercising its
First Amendment rights not to air Michael Moore's video, just as the New
York Times exercises its First Amendment rights when deciding what
letters to the editor to run, what op-ed columns to print, what stories
to assign, and what ads to accept. And Dave exercises his First
Amendment right when editing IP.

* Even with In Demand's constitutionally-protected refusal, Moore was
hardly muzzled. Fahrenheit 9/11 was the sleeper hit of the summer and
did extraordinarily well at the box office. It's also out on DVD. Anyone
who wishes to be enlighted through the grace of Michael Moore will have
no problem achieving that state.

* I assume Robert is not serious when suggesting that the censorhappy
Republicans (and Democrats, thank you Michael Copps) at the FCC become
*even more censorial* and extend their disapproval of speech to
innovative new categories.

* Even if Robert or anyone is serious about extending censorship of the
airwaves, they'd have to convince Congress to rewrite federal law and
the Constitution as well. 18 USC 1464 gives the FCC the ability to
censor through post-facto fines "any obscene, indecent, or profane
language" that's aired "by means of radio communications." The Supreme
Court upheld that as First Amendment-compliant in Pacifica. But the FCC
does not have authority to punish icky shows. Obscene, indecent, and
profane all have sexual meanings in the law, and for me at least dead
rats are not that titillating.

-Declan