Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Pursuit of Knowledge, from Genesis to Google

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:28:20 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Patrizia <patrizia () worldonip com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:19:36 +0100
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on The Pursuit of Knowledge, from Genesis to Google

I agree in most what it¹s written.

Data is not necessarily information, but it is better than nothing.

Since thousand of years the purpose of teaching has began with giving
opportunities.
The more opportunities, the more culture was spread.
We came from an age when most people couldn¹t read or write to one when
analphabetism is not so wide spread any more.
That was thanks to the fact that books were published and not hand written.
The fact that culture became cheaper meant that more people could have
access to it.
That didn¹t mean that all who could have access to it became suddenly
cultured people.

As regarding interactivity, I agree, ebooks should be used in their full
potential, which is not only text.

I have a Free ebooks website with more than 800 classic ebooks online
http://www.easymediabroadcast.com <http://www.easymediabroadcast.com/>

I use a mostly unknown software: TK3 which in my opinion is the best you
could use.
It allows you a certain kind of interactivity and gives the publisher the
chance to use also audio in his ebooks.
I think my most successful ebooks are the audio ebooks.

The one I love most is Tess of the D¹Urbervilles, which is a big one, but
worth downloading.
I made the next in several volumes, and that helps a lot.

I do it for a hobby and I do not count my time and costs.

But I think what is still lacking on the market is a good hardware for
ebooks and emagazines and enews.
It should be something like a tablet PC, not too small, the size of a
paperback book, very light and with a good screen.
It could be used like a real book, but with the advantage of carrying
several books in one DVD.
Everybody could in this way own a full library (which is a dream for people
who like to read) on a few DVDs.
And books could really be interactive.
When I was a child I loved reading, and I would have liked to have a
speaking book with images and may be small movies.
I guess interactivity would be perfect fro children books and scientific
books.

And it would also be possible to easily download a book from the Internet.
Culture would be really accessible to most.

What I found interesting on my website is that the majority of people
(enthusiastic) downloading my ebooks is from countries like India or Middle
East.
In this way they can have access to books they wouldn¹t be able to buy.

So, And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed
wisdom, but it is better than ignorance.

Patrizia