Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 04:57:17 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:51:31 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on ITU or ICANN - a case story from Denmark

The reason for wanting to put numbers under ENUM is for bridging between the
PSTN and the Internet. Otherwise, as Skype has shown, why bother with any of
this numeric dialing.

ENUM represents a simple collision between worlds and cultures.  It's also a
reminder of the bad idea of splitting area codes instead of overlaying
because of the misguided notion that a split is "simpler" when, in reality,
it is very disruptive because it changes the meaning of half the phone
numbers in an arbitrary manner.

While the ITU can make some arguments about the need to maintain control and
ownership that's not a justification for not creating an unregulated branch
of the ENUM space -- after all, it's just the DNS and we can simply delegate
subzones to any party that wants one even if it means dialing a long prefix
like +87810 (which is supposed to map into the Free World Dialup numbers)
(011-87810 for American phones without a + capability). It might seem
strange to your neighbor but it should work. Since I can forward my own 800#
to Australia for an additional penny a minute, I can simply give out an 800
number that maps into such an ENUM and avoid the confusion.

This would allow me to manage a zone file for my numbers. Sure I can make a
mistake with the entries but any system must deal with errors anyway so
that's not a problem.

The real problem is that it forces the ITU world to face up to a "learn by
doing world" and the distance insensitive pricing of the Internet. Having
87810 also means creating a complex, albeit artificial, pricing structure
for the new virtual countries, AKA zone files.

Mapping the artificial complexities of the existing numbers into ENUM is
difficult because without reality as an anchor it's all arbitrary. The
numbers do have meaning both geographic and emotional. And they also have to
authoritative in some sense. A compromise would be to allow people to simply
forward their PSTN to the experimental ENUM space if they choose.

But I don't expect that to happen since it would make it too easy to simply
bypass a PSTN billing engine.