Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 12:19:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 3, 2005 11:48:54 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

Once again those phishers. I don't have much new to say but can tie
together a few aspects.

I wish those with the most to lose would put up a few billion dollars to
track the varmints down. Not that that is a real solution but it is a
social problem. I fear, though, that they will just go after the usual
suspects -- I wonder how many alpha phisher/spammers there are. Reducing
the problem might make it worse - at least now everyone is wary though not
to the point of not doing online transactions -- yet.

Since I do my own mail processing I've marked a number of accounts as
suspicious and will mark any message that doesn't have an appropriate
"received from" address as suspicious. I also flag messages with other
suspicious content such as a % in a URL address. Same for a whole list of
suspect attachment types.

This is something I can do because I do my own mail processing and my own
popfile handling. It's not necessarily an approach that can be done
generally because, for example, many senders seem to be utterly clueless
and do things like sending mail from internal sites not listed in the DNS or from third party mail providers. There's technically nothing wrong with
that -- it's just a useful heuristic for me to use for critical sites. I
can't follow a path through "received" lines to establish a chain of trust
As I've mentioned in the past I'm surprised that third party mail sites
that might me "xyzzyx.whatever" mailers don't get subdomains from their
clients.

Note that I don't block the messages I just wrap them and say "suspicious"
but it's worked remarkably well.

What makes phishing so interesting is that it is really a confidence game
and preys upon our basic need to have simple trust heuristics. As with
other aspects identity theft the victim is blamed for being careless rather than human. There's still insufficient recognition that these attacks are indications of our failure to scale social mechanisms to the new landscape
and that we need to presume phishing will happen and deal with it rather
than putting the onus on the user to track down all of consequences.

For the credit card companies it's just a cost of doing business and
cheaper for them to choose to blame some users than to actually have to
take responsibility. I don’t expect the current administration to be
capable of being an advocate for consumers but that's another topic.

I feel it's World War I again and the British generals assume that they can
get past those machine guns with another few thousand troops -- after
60,000 they did. Today we keep email logs and comedians seem to reflect
popular naïveté and wonder why we don't just use profiling to solve our
problems.