Interesting People mailing list archives

more on re: 2029, A Worldwide Mesh?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 06:46:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () tera ics keio ac jp>
Date: December 2, 2005 10:26:53 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on re: 2029, A Worldwide Mesh?

[Dave, for IP, if you wish...]

2005-12-02 (金) の 20:56 -0500 に David Farber さんは書きま した:

The "world wide mesh" will arrive in Asia about 2019,

How about a couple of months ago, here in Japan?  Your teapot and toilet
can already snitch on you via the Net, see
http://rdvlivefromtokyo.blogspot.com/2005/11/mom-your-teapot-emailed- me-and.html
How much more ubiquitous do you need?  (I know, there's still a ton of
work to do, and many tons of equipment to manufacture, sell, and
install.)

In 2019, the average Asian "broadband" connection will exceed 100
mpbs,

Fixed or mobile?  I would guess that here in Japan the average *new*
installation is 100Mbps, today.  It'll be a few years before everybody
catches up, of course.

Mobile, a number of research groups planet-wide are working on 4G.  One
such is the Nakagawa Lab at Keio, supported in part by Nokia:
http://www.nkgw.ics.keio.ac.jp/
http://www.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_1285
Prof. Nakagawa is working on Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing
(OFDM), along with a variety of other things.  The roadmap they were
handing out yesterday at a Keio exhibition didn't have dates, but I
think 4G is generally targetted at 100Mbps.  I will be surprised if it
takes more than a decade to become available here.

                --Rod