Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Verizon says 412 is not a Pennsylvania area code??

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 06:47:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgbarkes () gmail com>
Date: December 2, 2005 11:23:22 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] RE: Verizon says 412 is not a Pennsylvania area code??

Hi Dave,

Verizon's website started recognizing Pennsylvania area codes sometime
after 6 p.m. today. Based on the e-mails I received, I suspect someone
within Verizon has the common sense to monitor the mailing list
monitored by the former chief technologist of the FCC. Especially when
he's located smack in the middle of the previously-unrecognized 412
area code.

I just hope iobi management reads the list as well. After two days,
it's still not working. The nice tech support fellow says the proper
ANI information is being passed to the switch, but that it's not being
processed correctly. He said they're going to sent it to their
developers for review.

As a software support person myself, I hope the iobi support team
euphemisms are different than my company's, where "we're sending it to
the developers" typically means there's a fatal design flaw or that
it's God's will.

Speaking of iobi, here's an interesting little background piece on its
development and the management involved:

http://www.cio.com/archive/040105/billion.html

Sigh. I sort of long for the old days, when the rule was, ":never
design anything bigger than your head." When there used to be an old
timer in CO that knew the switch from one end to the other.

These days, I'll settle on not having my multiply-transferred voice
mail plunges disconnected.

--

Regards,

KGB

-----
Kevin G. Barkes
Email: kgb () kgb com | Web: www.kgb.com
South Park, PA
Commentwear by KGB:
http://www.commentwear.com
Eff the Ineffable, Scrute the Inscrutable:
http://www.cafeshops.com/kgbstuff.9211569
KGB Report:
http://www.kgb.com
National Temperature Index: