Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Bush administration asks for halt to .xxx domain [fs] [based on 6000 letter indeed djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:39:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: August 16, 2005 5:07:00 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Bush administration asks for halt to .xxx domain [fs] [based on 6000 letter indeed djf]

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>

Michael Gallagher could ask, as can any person, agency, ngo, etc., to have its views and requests considered. However, as the real owner of the Domain
Name system the DoC could possibly exert political pressure on ICANN.

A few comments.

First. ICANN is hardly open to comments. When I was on the board, comments were rarely, if ever, propagated by staff to the board. And in those rare occassions when that happened, it was done in the form of a very short and very unbalanced summary that was written to favor the staff's position. The secrecy of ICANN's operations masks the way that ICANN's staff runs the show while the emasculated board quietly assents.

Second. ICANN has eliminated the public from its processes and handed ICANN's decision-making over to a few selected industrial groups that it euphemistically calls "stakeholders". This "stakeholder" disease also infects the WSIS/WGIG process. Unfortunately we seem to have come to accept the idea tht people are no longer part of the processes of governance.

Third. No up and coming politician, much less one who expects to try to win over the votes of the stereotypical fundamentalist christian voter, wants to take any risk of being labeled as "the man who gave a home to porn" or "the candidate who is soft on porn". A position in favor of allowing .xxx to go forward, or even a position that takes a detached stance on .xxx, has no political upside in our current era of social and political retreat back into the mentality and methods of the dark ages.

My own position is that .xxx represents the worst in human nature but that it is a legitimate right to be. However, that does not mean that we shold elevate it and give it precedence. Rather .xxx should only come *after* all the better ideas have been given their TLDs. Had ICANN ever had a disinterested, technical-only, policy in these matters then this situation of the .xxx preference would never have come to pass. Had ICANN allowed unions, churches, community groups, artistic groups, etc have their TLDs earlier on, then the proponents of .xxx could claim that it's now time for their idea to have its opportunity. But instead ICANN has created a sitution in which .xxx has been elevated over all those socially positive uses; hence the political reaction.

If this takes place (or has already taken place) then it will give fuel to those who claim that the Domain Name system

                          ^^^

In this sentence we find one of the big grains of sand in the bed that internet governance is trying to make - The idea that there must and shall be but one catholic domain name system is ultimately as unnecessary as the old assertion that there can and must be but one telephone directory or that we must all buy our grociers and supplies at one big Wal Mart rather than through a plethora of competing providers and distributors.

The issue is consistency among naming systems, not that there be a singularity of exactly one naming system.

        --karl--