Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Amtrak's ID requiremeent

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:31:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: jean_camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Date: August 14, 2005 9:56:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Amtrak's ID requiremeent

In terms of Amtrak the company and the conductor have quite a it of power. There is no customer bill of rights on Amtrak, all the rights belong to the conductor. The conductor can throw you off the train onto a platform in the middle of the night if he feels you have been uncooperative or disruptive, or even loud. You might want to read the back of the Amtrak magazine the next time you take a train. You will find several pages of print describing your behavioral requirements as a passenger, an affirmation of the power of the conductor, a note on how your ticket is highly limited, and exactly nothing on customer rights.

I am one who believes in promoting the general welfare and investing in infrastructure. But the attitude of Amtrak towards the customer is one reason for the repeatedly dismal performance of the organization. The ability to _lose_ _money_ between Boston and Dc in these days of bad air travel and decreasing service is truly a wonder- a wonder made possible by the arbitrary behavior of Amtrak towards its cattle, er, un passengers.

-Jean