Interesting People mailing list archives

more on YES YES TSA may loosen carry-on, shoe-removal, other rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:30:55 -0400

yup

Begin forwarded message:

From: jean_camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Date: August 14, 2005 10:27:24 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] YES YES TSA may loosen carry-on, shoe-removal, other rules

Hmmm. So almost everyone at a national laboratory will be free from screening.

It is good to know that a top secret clearance makes one magically immune from identity theft. And I am sure every screener in American can identify every member of the Senate, the House, and every researcher at the labs by face.

This simply illustrates that screening is about "security as a feeling", it is about teaching people to shut up and stand quietly in line. Any actual security outcome is orthogonal.

regards,
Jean