Interesting People mailing list archives

more on YES YES TSA may loosen carry-on, shoe-removal, other rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:41:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lin, Herb" <HLin () nas edu>
Date: August 13, 2005 12:06:01 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] YES YES TSA may loosen carry-on, shoe-removal, other rules

Please withhold my name if you publish.

If these powerful individuals are exempt from the security searches etc,
they will never suffer from the pains of compliance.  Thus, these
powerful voices are to a large degree eliminated as a source of pressure
to changes the regs for two reasons.  First, they themselves no longer
have the incentives to complain, since they personally don't suffer from
them.  Second, the media can no longer highlight the ridiculousness of
the regs by pointing out how a federal judge, for example, was
improperly stopped--the only people left to write (namely us) about are
not newsworthy.

Was this the reason for the proposed change?  I don't know.  But the
above would be at least a result of the change, whether intended or
unintended.