Interesting People mailing list archives

More on give us a break..Copyright office to require IE

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:03:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: bill-ip () carpenter ORG (WJCarpenter)
Date: August 11, 2005 8:55:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] More on give us a break..Copyright office to require IE

bp> This site gives more information on "Why IE" for the Copyright

All I had to read was that they were interfacing with 3rd party
commercial software, and I understood the situation completely.  The
Copyright Office (and Seibel) means "only support IE" not in the sense
that the web site won't work with other browsers.  That is, it doesn't
use ActiveX or other crud (which was also my kneejerk fear).  Rather,
they don't want lamebrains filing support tickets saying the shade of
blue is not quite right or that a couple of pixels of something
overlaps something else.

When a commercial product says it supports certain browsers, they
definitely do get those kinds of support incidents.  It's a PITA and
not very rewarding for folks who want to do the right thing HTML-wise
in honoring substance over form.  It's also pretty expensive in
support costs for the software vendor.

Now, the Copyright Office could take the approach that their vendor
doesn't support various browsers, but that the Copyright Office will.
But I don't see any reason that the Copyright Office should operate
any differently than any commercial outfit using 3rd party software,
and hardly anybody is willing to take on that extra pain.  In fact, I
wouldn't be too surpised to find specific policies preventing the
Copyright Office from doing that even if they wanted to.
--
bill-ip () carpenter ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119