Interesting People mailing list archives

Science Labs Don't Measure Up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:08:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: August 10, 2005 12:29:26 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Science Labs Don't Measure Up

Science Labs Don't Measure Up

Associated Press
Story location: <http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68469,00.html>

01:51 PM Aug. 08, 2005 PT

While sleek crime-scene TV shows have turned students on to forensic science, an investigation of today's high school laboratories shows that reality isn't so flattering.

The typical high school lab is an isolated add-on that lacks clear goals, does not engage students in discussion and fails to illustrate how scientific methods lead to knowledge, says a report by the National Research Council.

Most of the labs are of such poor quality that they don't follow basic principles of effective science teaching, says the council, a private adviser to government leaders on matters of science and engineering.

Contributing to the problem: teachers who aren't prepared to run labs, state exams that don't measure lab skills, wide disparities in the quality of equipment, and a simple lack of consensus over what "laboratory" means in the school environment. Even the way class time and space are organized in high schools may be limiting progress, the study found.

"It's on target," said Gerry Wheeler, executive director of the National Science Teachers Association and a former high school physics teacher. "There's a lack of clarity about why we're doing things. And we can't measure how useful labs are unless we have that clarity."

At the high school and college levels, teachers are reporting higher interest in chemistry labs and forensics courses, driven largely by the popularity of television's CSI shows, in which investigators solve crimes by examining evidence with high-tech lab work.

In school, successful lab time is critical because it bolsters students' science literacy and, more broadly, can help inspire the next wave of scientists, the report's authors found.

The review amounts to the latest warning over the state of U.S. science. Business groups representing tens of millions of workers recently announced a campaign to prod the nation into improving its math and science education, wary of slipping U.S. competitiveness.

Criticisms of science labs are not new, but teachers say the report, coming with the imprimatur of the National Research Council, could give the matter a boost of urgency.

"For literally 150 years, laboratories have been the sacred cows of science education," said Susan Singer, chairwoman of the committee that wrote the report and professor of biology at Carleton College. "Nobody has stopped to question what the value added is, or how we should go about using labs to improve learning. We haven't asked the right questions."

Most students take science classes during three of the four high school years, participating in labs about once a week in biology, chemistry and physics courses.

During lab time, students are supposed to be mastering subject matter, developing scientific reasoning and understanding the complexity of empirical work, the report says. Students also should be developing teamwork abilities and cultivating an interest in science.

[snip]

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>