Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Law would put 'In God We Trust' in schools

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:48:42 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Bob Frankston  <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Sent: 7/4/'05,  17:37

In elementary school I was in the music class and we were taught to sing the
Pledge of Allegiance. That version did not have "under God" -- the teacher
explained it was added in the 50's (the class itself may have been in 1960).
At my high school (Stuyvesant in NYC) graduation I was surprised to find I
was far from alone in my silence during that phrase.

It's not that I really cared about pledging allegiance to a flag -- as
noted, it was a meaningless mantra but even then I found the under god part
offensive. I guess "they" are right about those of us in the Northeast.