Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Air travel without ID.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:10 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Richard Fritzson <richard.fritzson () verizon net>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:00:30 +0000
Subj: Re: [IP] more on Air travel without ID.

As far as I can tell, a child is a child because his or her parents say so.
When my daughter was 17 1/2 she flew without government issued photo id
because I said she was my minor child. When my son was 20 and tried to
board a plane (accompanied by his father, mother and sister) without
government issued photo id, we were all interrogated. (He had a school
photo id and an official notarized birth certificate which had worked in
Baltimore but was not acceptable in Dallas.)

The airlines, national rail and regional rail have all declared their right
to demand id. The supreme court, in June, ruled against Larry Hiibel, and
declared that states can enforce laws requiring you to identify yourself to
the police. I don't belief it is much of an exaggeration to say that
citizens of the U.S., travelling within their own country, must be prepared
to show official papers to representatives of the government at almost any
time.

  Rich Fritzson