Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Air travel without ID.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:35:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Liz Ditz <ponytrax () batnet com>
Date: August 27, 2004 1:06:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Air travel without ID.

Dear Dave, [for IP if you wish]: Air travel w/out ID with teens.

My daughter (Allison the Adorable*) is now 15 1/2 years old. While she has a passport, and I mostly remember to bring it with me when we fly, we usually don't present official ID when we travel. (And we fly about 4-5 times per year.) What the security systems seem to expect from teens below driving age are school IDs, which she's never had (the wonders of going to a small school or homeschooling. ) Her lack of ID has never been questioned. I have never had to produce her passport. She has never been selected for additional examination (wanding, etc.)

Who is to say that a person dedicated to taking over an aircraft can't be young and cute? I passed for 14 when I was 25. I wonder how different our experience would be if she weren't so cute, or so white, or so blue-eyed, or if she wore a hijab,

*This list is largely for scientists. Substantiating claims of adorability: photo here: http://lizditz.typepad.com/photos/family_photos_more_curren/ al_liz_grad_03_1.html

Liz Ditz
ponytrax () batnet com
cell: 650-303-5967

blog: http://lizditz.typepad.com

Success: fall down seven times, stand up eight.