Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CNBC censors DNC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:15:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
Date: August 2, 2004 10:27:33 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] CNBC censors DNC

Okay, let's just take a deep breath and back slowly away from creeping conspiracy that the "anti-choice conservative networks" are all participating in a massive [government sponsored!!?] experiment in "GroupThink(tm)."

First of all realize that Bill Maher isn't exactly Jon Stewart when it comes to news and on-point factual information, if for no other reason that he calls CNBC a "network."  It's not; it's part of cable, just as C-SPAN is part of cable.

Next, realize that the networks carried a miniscule amount of the convention at all and the coverage they did show was a slave to commercial breaks, for crying out loud (this was why many pundits said Sen. Kerry seemed to be "rushing" his speech... he only had X number of minutes or the networks would have cut him off, too.)

Third, cable outlets, especially news outlets (like CNN, MSNBC and CNBC), are notoriously handcuffed to what the biz calls "the hard break."  These are programmed breaks that will cut off a star anchorperson unceremoniously in mid-sentence if they don't' stop talking.  I've been on TV plenty of times taking about this or that story only to have a producer yelling "WRAP!  WRAP!" in my ear, meaning, "shut your mouth and stop yakking immediately because we're out of time!"

So, this "limit of choice" turns out to be much more mundane (but no less crass) than some "anti-choice" theory.    If any choice is being made... it's being made in favor of revenue over content.

--Brock