Interesting People mailing list archives

Live warblogging from Iraq

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:07:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: davidu () everydns net
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Live warblogging from Iraq
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:03:32 -0800 (PST)

Professor Farber,

Thought this would be of interest to you --

CNN foreign correspondent Kevin Sites has created his own 'weblog' which
he updates daily from his current position in Northern Iraq.
(http://www.kevinsites.net)

"Internet access in Iraq and the other countries he's traveling in is --
as one might imagine -- unavailable or extremely poor. This makes text
blogging difficult or impossible. But by using his somewhat more reliable satellite phone connection to speak his blog posts (I understand that the CNN crews there are using Iridiums and Thurayas), Kevin's able to share these quick, immediate first-hand reflections of what it's like to be a reporter on the ground." -- As explained by friend of Kevin, Xeni Jardin.

So far he has been pretty lucky in terms of getting net access and so in addition to the audio and text blogs, we also have some digital photos he
has been able to upload.

Aside from the cool tech involved in making this work, it's nice to get a first-person account of what's going on without the media "massage" being
added.

-David Ulevitch
-- Dave