Interesting People mailing list archives

1KM, 2Mbps, 802.11b wireless link using Linksys WAP11 + Yagi, in Hurghada, EGYPT

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:54:31 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert J. Berger <rberger () ibd com>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Dave Farber IP <dave () farber net> Subject: 1KM, 2Mbps, 802.11b wireless link using Linksys WAP11 + Yagi, in Hurghada, EGYPT
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:28:10 +0900

<Don't think he's worried about meeting FCC certification>

1KM, 2Mbps, 802.11b wireless link using Linksys WAP11 + Yagi, in Hurghada,
EGYPT

By: Hassan Adly
Hurghada, Red Sea, EGYPT
Posted December 10, 2001
http://www.d128.com/wireless/

Background:

I have an Internet cafe in Hurghada, Red Sea, Egypt, with an expensive
broadband satellite connection, located 1 km from my house. The roofs of
both buildings have a clear line of sight between them. At home I was
previously limited to a V.90 modem connection, and remote administration of
the cyber cafe network was impossible.

A fast connection between my house and the cafe was becoming more and more necessary, mostly in order to provide remote administration at acceptable speeds, but also of course to finally get fast Internet at home! Me-wann'
download quicky-quicky now!

<snip>

<My favorite part:>

My first project was based on the ingenious Pringles can design. The hardest part for me about emulating the design on Rob Flickenger's website was finding Pringles cans for sale in Egypt. Fortunately I found a supermarket
that stocks them and was able to build a pair. If you want to try the
Pringles design let me warn you: Under no circumstances should you eat more than a few Pringles at a time! After eating a canful I was positively sick,
to the point that all antenna construction was halted for two days!
Unfortunately after all my efforts the "Pringletenna" link refused to work, either through a design fault of my own, or noise, or whatever. Maybe it's
the grease in the pringles..

<snip>

<another good part that would make some cringe:>

The WAP11's antenna connectors, I found to my chagrin, are unlike anything available in northern Africa. The "pigtail" connectors I have read about on American sites are unavailable in Egypt and considering that they cost about $60 each anyway, all the better. After days of driving from one electronics shop to another with no success, I decided to dismantle the standard WAP11 antenna and modify its connector for my purposes. After a lot of clamping, hammering and grinding, this is what I ended up with, a brutalized Linksys
connector with a standard satellite dish N-connector jammed onto its
backside. So instead of a $60 pigtail, I got a solution that cost me about
$1 for the n-connectors (including the ones I destroyed during
experimentation). I got the approximately 4 meters of cable I needed for
free from a sat-dish repairman I know.

<snip>
--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
In Tokyo as Glocom visiting research fellow through April 2003