Interesting People mailing list archives

more on regulation/deregulation of communications

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:03:14 -1000

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:00:53 -0500
To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] regulation/deregulation of communications

This is a way better description of the issue (as I would expect from David
Reed).

David's central point is Schumpeterian: static analysis will not suffice in
a world dominated by technical change.  It is certainly the case that
natural monopoly is a static concept, and as such it properly evokes
regulation as a welfare-improving government intervention...maybe.  When the
technology is relatively constant, it is arguable that a natural monopoly
should be regulated.  But when the technology begins to change, what then?
Regulation has great difficulty accommodating innovation;
bureaucratic/administrative systems break down in the face of innovation, or
even worse, reach out to suppress it.  Not evil people; just inappropriate
institutions.

In fact, I would say that our greatest challenge in telecoms today is how
institutions need to change, and how difficult the political process makes
that change.  We see this in wireline regulation, where the FCC and the
RBOCs are locked in a sweaty embrace of mutual suspicion, inefficiency, and
lack of innovativeness that neither side seems to be able to break.  In
wireless, it is the old-fashioned GOSPLAN model of spectrum allocation we
all hate (in different ways).  But political/regulatory change is much more
difficult than technical change.

History tells us it is subversive technologies that force bureaucracies and
politicians to accommodate the new realities (e.g., banking deregulation in
the '80s, microwave transmission in telcos in  the 1950s).  But it can also
act to suppress innovation (extending regulation from railroads to trucks in
the 1930s, to negative effect).  The Internet is just such a subversive
technology; it holds great hope to undermine the old institutions, including
regulation.  But it is not guaranteed to happen.

I am concerned that those who ask for government intervention to "protect"
something (e.g., end-to-end) don't understand the endpoint of regulation.
Economists use the phrase "the dead hand of regulation" based on long
experience and massive research results; and we see it in the real world as
well.  If you want to see the endpoint of government intervention in the
Internet (e.g., to ensure end-to-end), look at telco  regulation today,
because that's the fate of regulated industries, regardless of how
"enlightened" regulators may be.

Gerry