Interesting People mailing list archives

TIA's scientific basis?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:18:24 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:29:54 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: for IP if you want: TIA's scientific basis?

http://www.satn.org/archive/2003_04_06_archive.html#200137276

Saturday, April 12, 2003
DPR at 9:19 AM [url]:
TIA - the new ESP research?
The TIA program at DARPA continues apace.
Someone needs to subject these claims being made for pervasive data
gathering and inference to scientific review.
I am reminded of my brief (childhood, 14 years old) correspondence with Dr.
J.B. Rhine, the foremost ESP investigator nearly 40 years ago. I was
introduced to much of what I know about statistical methods by reading his
papers and books from his fellow researchers. There were amazingly
well-documented statistical proofs that information was being conveyed over
a new ether. Experiments were designed to demonstrate that such information
could be sent backwards in time, and the speed of such communications was
carefully measured.
Of course (and this will get me flamed, I'm sure), these incredibly careful
statistical analyses were being applied to experimental data that was flawed
in very serious ways, gamed by the subjects who had incredible incentive to
confirm the investigators' hypotheses, etc.
When I got a little older, I realized that the sophisticated statistics were
obscuring understanding, as much as helping it, in this case. The search for
sophisticated statistical methods seemed to be driven by a need to find some
way to extract the "right" results out of noise (those that confirmed the
experimenters' beliefs).
The DoD, by the way, supported a bunch of ESP research that tended to
confirm the potential of ESP in predicting behaviors of our cold war
enemies.
Now this idea of extracting reliable and meaningful information from massive
data collection arises. A scientist might ask, what would falsify the
underlying hypothesis? Is there a null hypothesis at all?
In fact, the privacy and liberty folks, by expressing concern in the form of
risks to "privacy" tend to reinforce the belief that there is any real
investigatory information that can be extracted by inference from a very
noisy and randomly selected pile of information.
The problem with statistical inference is that it is not neutral with
respect to hypotheses you are testing, nor with respect to control of the
sampling process.
What we are asked to believe is that the work being done by DARPA (on clean
data sets, looking for evidence to prove hypotheses about behavior that
cannot be validated against real behavioral experiments) can provide any
clue about the use of such technology in the very specific context of the
real world activities being observed, and the hypotheses being tested.
This entire field of mining uncontrolled data, and inferencing, is quite
analogous to the ESP enterprise in this sense. (it would be laughable as
GIGO if it weren't taken so seriously...
And I am afraid that the country is unable to understand that the so-called
scientists (including Adm. Poindexter) who are leading this are about as
clueless as the ESP researchers were, as to their biases, etc. Clever
computer science, even powerful and correct computer science, will serve the
same role in this process that the powerful statistical methods served in
the Dr. Rhine's ESP research enterprise. The math was not wrong... but it
helped create a delusion.
The result in the TIA case will be very dangerous pseudo-scientific
bullshit, I suspect. Unfortunately it will be turned on us. I hope the
computer science participants working on the data mining and inferencing
tools don't expect a pass because they were "just following orders".