Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Is This The Ghost of Vietnam I See Before Me?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:34:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Tim O'Connor" <oconnort () nyu edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:30:39 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: NYT: Is This The Ghost of Vietnam I See Before Me?

Comparisons with Vietnam-era logic and analysis are chilling in this
New York Times article.  (The URL is below.)  I am not suggesting
that Pentagon spokesmen are being misleading or dishonest or
dishonorable; rather, the tone of repetition in comparing how "we"
saw things back then, and how those in charge see things now, gives
one reason to pause and reflect on what everyone involved has
learned.

Much more than is immediately apparent at first glance, I hope.

Find the entire article here:

   http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/06/international/asia/06FIGH.html

[snip]
    Important fresh details of a set of combat operations that
    began Sunday and were waged over a sprawling battlefield
    emerged as Pentagon officials said the hard-core Al Qaeda
    and Taliban fighters making a last stand in eastern
    Afghanistan suffered heavy casualties but also surprised
    American forces by their fierce resistance. "I don't think
    we knew what we were getting into this time, but I think
    we're beginning to adjust," Sgt. Maj. Mark Nielsen told a
    reporter in the Pentagon press pool for the operation.
[snip]

--tim o'connor

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: