Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on irradiated food dangers [boosting organics] (citizen.org)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:09:57 -0500

From: Margoling () aol com
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:04:17 EST
Subject: Re: IP: irradiated food dangers [boosting organics] (citizen.org)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
CC: inventor () pobox com

Dave -- as you probably already know -- irradiated food has been eaten by our
Astronauts, Military folks and others -- for DECADES.  And irradiation has
been  used in Canada on potatoes and other farm products to eradicate
infestation and in some cases, to discourage budding for longer and safer
storage life.

The army labs in Natick.Mass have been working with and testing various
radiation food preservation techniques for Many DECADES, ergo - safe, easy to
store without refrigeration, high flying Astronaut food.

Despite all of our artificial food additives, strange and ersatz concoctions,
chemicals and varying types of packaging, storage means, aging, curing,
fermenting and putrifying cheeses, soy products, eggs and more -- our
lifespan has been getting longer, our health better and our kids taller.

Is this group -- called something like "Citizens against any kind of
innovation" right or wrong?  Only time will tell.  But they certainly seem to
have a Luddite, aged, fermented, smell to them.

More -- they seem to be just the kind of folks who would say "Let's crawl
back into the past, where we ate rotten, spoilled food, lived less long and
died young of horrible but now easily cureable diseases."

Dave -- one of my very favorite recent books is one you know, "The Future and
Its Enemies."  It was written by a brilliant writer and thinker, Virginia
Postrel, editor of
Reason magazine.  She writes about Dynamists -- the Doers and Creators vs the
Stasists -- those who are afraid of and avoid change and innovation, even
when those changes might be good, very good or even great.  Why are they
afraid?  Because there also might be some bad in all that good.  Guess which
group the Nader Citizen.org folks belong in.

George Margolin
inventor () pobox com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/