Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A Network Solutions Experience

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:16:14 -0500

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 15:40:26 -0800
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Steve Caine <shc () cfg com>
Subject: A Network Solutions Experience

Dave,

I thought you might find the following amusing.

We've got something like 100 domains, with registration
dates going back to 1986.  Last week, 13 of them came
due for renewal.  They sent me 13 separate invoices via
first-class US mail.

I went to the NSI web site and found that renewing more than
one at a time now requires an "account".  I've never had
such, but they had a mechanism for retrieving the account
number and, then, the password.  The account retrieval
system said each of the domains didn't exist, but they did
find my email address & sent me an account number.  Unfortunately,
the password retrieval mechanism said the account number
did not exist.

I telephoned and actually got a real person on the second
ring after navigating the menu tree.  I explained my problem
and the representative looked up my domains and said the
problem was they were so old, they were registered before
the account system was introduced.  I asked if she could
make me an account and assign the domains to it.  She said
that was not possible and the only way to renew was to do
each one with an individual, complete online transaction.
I asked how to do that so that American Express would not
put a hold on my card when they saw all those identical
transaction is a short time (I've had that happen).  She
put me on hold and than told me that her supervisor said
the best way was to renew only one each day.  I thanked
her and hung up.

I guess it's time to find a new registrar :-(

Steve.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/