Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: an answer to --: Any IP'ers in Japan willing to comment on this?: Japan rations new year mobile use

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 16:27:43 -0500

Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 06:05:12 +0900
From: Naoki Yamamoto <naoki () matatabi com>
To: dave () farber net

>Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 15:09:04 -0800
>From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () OLTECO com>
>Subject: Japan rations new year mobile use
>To: farber () cis upenn edu
>
>         Any IP'ers in Japan willing to comment on this?
>
>Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1735000/1735365.stm
>Monday, 31 December, 2001, 06:20 GMT
>Japan rations new year mobile use
>'Happy New Year' calls will be restricted Japanese mobile phone
>companies are limiting access to their services over the new year.
>
>The firms fear that a surge in calls and text messages to pass on
>new year greetings will paralyse their networks.

I live in Japan and am a subscriber of NTTDoCoMo. Although I did not
send any new year greetings from my i-mode handset, I was aware of
those wireless operators ran many TV commercials asking the
subscribers to refrain from calling or sending email from mobile
phones during the very first hours on the new year day. It was true
that the operators restricted the use of their services during that
time period to avoid their networks to go down, but I think the word
"ration" was a little bit too strong to describe the situation. We
need to take Japanese culture/custom into account.

The new year day is the most important holiday in Japan. We send a lot
of postal greeting cards to relatives, friends, bosses, colleagues and
clients as those who in the West send Christmas cards. However, there
is a difference between Christmas cards and the Japanese new year
greeting cards. The post office guarantees to deliver the new year
greeting cards on the new year day if we mail those cards before a
certain date in December. It is like a ritual for many of us to read
the cards in the morning of the new year day. It is also considered as
bad manners if your greeting cards arrives later.

The younger generation, who cannot live without "Keitai" the mobile
phones, has substituted the new year greeting cards with phone calls
and short email messages from their mobile devices. They make 'Happy
New Year' calls and exchange short new year messages among friends
during the very early morning hours on the new year day. I guess that
you've got to send those messages (which just say a happy new year) as
soon as possible if you want to show them that they are important to
you.

According to the reports from some popular Japanese chat rooms, it was
actually less than an hour for people to have had trouble connecting
to the wireless networks. There seemed no restriction for DoCoMo's
FOMA, the new 3G service because of its tiny subscriber population.

I think it is O.K. or even necessary for the wireless operators to
restrict the use of their networks for a short time if there is
justification such as making a room for emergency communication in the
time of disaster. However, the new year day's spike in the mobile
phone usage is something those operators have been anticipated and can
prepare for it. IMHO, instead of spending big money on those TV spots,
they should have increased the network capacities.

Also, there are some easy measures that the operators should take to
ease the new year day network congestion. For example, some operators
doesn't allow BCC in their email, therefore people have to write and
sent a message to each receiver -- it would strain the mail servers
unnecessary. Some of the operators offer a service to deliver email
messages at a preset date and time. They should publicise the service
more and make people to use it for the new year greetings.

Naoki
--
Naoki Yamamoto <naoki () matatabi com> in Yokohama, Japan
Matatabi Digital Industry Report <http://www.matatabi.com>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/