Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on New York sues Network Associates over no-criticism shrinkwrap

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:50:09 -0500

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:00:35 -0700
From: Joel Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
To: declan () well com

Declan:

I read your posting to Politech and wanted to respond.  Here's what you
wrote:

>It seems to me that if the user knowingly agreed to a no-criticism
license,
>then, heck, it's a contract and there's no reason for the NY AG's
office to
>get involved. If you don't like the contract, buy someone else's
virus-scan
>software. If a sufficient number of users are peeved, Network
Associates
>(or someone else) will offer criticism-allowed licenses, and the market
>will self-correct. But whether or not the agreement was entered into
>knowingly is the real question here, I suppose...

I am the reporter cited by the suit as one case where NAI tried to use this
license to supress reviews of their product.  This is in relationship to a
review of NAI's Gauntlet I did in 1999.

The situation is not a simple as a contract.  There are certain things
which you cannot put in a contract, no matter what.  For example, it it
illegal for us to write a contract in which you agree to kill someone, or
I agree to kill you.  That's a silly example, but it should get you thinking
about the issue.  The point is that the state has a compelling reason to
forbid certain kinds of clauses in contracts.  The NY AG office is saying
that this is one of those cases.

Your point about NAI and people simply not reviewing their products is OK
for NAI, but this same type of clause has appeared in Microsoft products
before, and I believe (but am not sure) that it still appears in SQL Server's
license agreement.  What would you say if MS suddenly decided that no
one
could review their products without their permission?  Wouldn't you agree
that the state would have a compelling reason to forbid that kind of contract?
If no one could talk about Windows in an article without getting permission?

What goes for MS, in that case, would go for everyone.

More specifically, the text in the NAI license is a "restrictive covenant,"
which is prohibited (at least in NY) because it restricts important rights
(such as the right to discuss a product openly) without any good reason.
In the case of shrink-wrap licenses, such as are common in software packages,
restrictive covenants are especially problematic.  What might go in an
individually-negotiated contract between you&me doesn't go in a broad,
"offer to everyone" situation like a software package.

There are other procedural issues which NAI is being cited for specifically,
including the way the clause is written and the fact that there are two
different licenses which conflict with each other.  But the real reason for
the complaint is the restrictive clause nature.

I belive that in the publicly available papers on the NY AG's web site
is a
memorandum of law which goes through the legal issues in the complaint very
specifically, with appropriate citations and a great deal more expertise than
I ever could.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/