Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dan Gillmor:`Get a Mac' advice no easy answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:12:39 -0500

Dan Gillmor:`Get a Mac' advice no easy answer

By Dan Gillmor
Mercury News Technology Columnist

A column earlier this week, in which I described the trials and tribulations of today's personal technology, brought the kind of responses that I expected. People in the software industry said I should understand that bugs are part of the system. People outside the tech business screamed their frustration with the gear they can't understand or keep running reliably.

Several folks, noting my IBM ThinkPad problems, gave the typical advice in such situations: Get a Mac. Well, I have a Mac -- a PowerBook G4 Titanium model. It's great. But this road warrior isn't ready to replace his ThinkPad yet.

The first problem is being able to use my data. I haven't found a way to solve this one.

My company uses Microsoft Exchange for its e-mail and calendaring and contacts, which means that I'm pretty much forced to use Outlook, the software that connects to Exchange. There's a Mac OS 9 version of Outlook, but my company's Virtual Private Network (VPN), which gives me access inside the firewall from outside, doesn't run with OS 9. Besides, I'm running Mac OS X. There's OS X VPN software, but OS 9 applications running in OS X's ``Classic'' mode won't run under that VPN.

I can get into the Exchange server using another connection protocol called LDAP, using different e-mail software on the Mac. Microsoft's Entourage is excellent, but its calendar and contacts won't work with Exchange or even import data from Outlook. Think about this. Of course, Microsoft won't make it easy to export from its proprietary file formats to other companies' products. But it won't even let you export to its own software -- apparently, that is, if those other products are running on a non-Windows platform.

I'm getting strong hints from Microsoft that an OS X version of Outlook is on the way. Good idea, but I'd be happiest if Entourage worked seamlessly with Exchange.

I haven't found a way to get my contacts and/or calendar into other software, either. So I am stuck on the data front. (If you have an answer to this, let me know and I'll publish it.)

The other hassle is Apple's lame warranty. The ThinkPad came with a three-year warranty that is good all over the world. Apple has a one-year hardware warranty but charges for phone support and help with software problems after just 90 days. Is there any computer problem that isn't a software issue these days?

OK, I thought, I'll just buy the extended warranty, good for three years for hardware, software and phone support. It's about $350, which is expensive but pretty much a necessity if you rely on computers to the extent I do. This is how to charge higher prices without seeming to charge higher prices.

Aha, there's another catch. Apple's extended warranty is good only inside the United States after the first year. If I want coverage outside the country, I have to buy a completely new extended warranty for every country where I want coverage. Do you think it's likely I'll take the Titanium on any trip outside the United States after the year is up?

I asked Apple about this and got the usual blah-blah you get from companies that can't explain why they offer significantly poorer service and/or products than another company in the same business. There's no good excuse, and Apple surely knows it. The product manager I talked with suggested that Apple would ``take care of'' users who had problems in another country after a year was up. That promise is worth the paper it's written on.

Get a Mac? Got one. But even assuming I don't have the kind of trouble I have with Windows computers, it's not the ultimate answer.

Dan Gillmor's column appears each Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday. Visit Dan's online column, eJournal (http://www .siliconvalley.com/ mld/ siliconvalley/business/columnists/ dan_gillmor/ ejournal/). E-mail <mailto:dgillmor () sjmercury com>dgillmor () sjmercury com; phone (408) 920-5016; fax (408) 920-5917.

© 2001 siliconvalley and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.bayarea.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/