Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on WELL WORTH READING: Broadband deployment versus broadbandadoption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 05:57:59 -0500

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 17:14:40 -0800
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

Busy with APRICOT so I'm way behind on my IP mailing list reading :-)

2) The following numbers come from the National Cable & Telecommunications
>Association, as of 14 August 2001:
>    * 102,184,810 million households in the US have a television.
>    * 60,000,000 homes are passed by cable modem service. (<60% of total)
>    * 5,000,000 households subscribe to cable modem service (<10% of total
> homes passed by cable modem).

This is a bogus assumtion that because 60Million homes are passed by Cable, that those 60 Million homes could get broadband Internet if they wanted to.

Much of the cable plant is incapable of supporting cable modems.

>3) These numbers come from the eMarketer Broadband Report (April 2001). On
>page 46, eMarketer provides the following (estimated numbers) for 2001:
>    * 104.3 million households in the US.
>    * 52.4 million households are DSL-ready (50% of total)
>    * 3.4 million DSL households in US (<10% of total DSL-ready households)

What is a "DSL-ready" household? That its within 12,000 ft of a CO with DSLAMs already installed? Or a household that has a spare copper pair? Or a household with a copper pair connected to a CO that has a DSLAM, but who knows if that copper pair could deliver broadband?

I suspect its one of the two latter scenarios more than they could actually delvier broadband (1Mbps or greater is my definition, though the FCC defines it as 128kbps or better I believe).

So this is a false meme going around that "Almost 80% of households were estimated to be able to receive cable modem service by the end of 2001 (that is 81 million out of roughly 104 million households); likewise, 51.5 million households could receive DSL" or that "deployment of broadband is less and less of an issue".

We see the ILECs (the 4 that make up the Telco local loop Oligopoly) and Cable Companies (the two that make up the Cable Duopoly) quietly shutting down all expansion plans for broadband rollouts now that they have pretty much finished off their competition and have the Bush/Powell/Tauzin/Dingle axis all lined up to protect their interests....

So having the Bush/Powell FCC issue these falsehoods is very convienient to stop the boat rocking in Telecom and Cable and settle back to expensive T1s and mind-numbing "entertainment"....

--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.

For archives see: