Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: comment and reply on By Cringely -- Soon, It's Gonna Rain

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 19:25:51 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <rmfxixB () bobf Frankston com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

The problem with Rainmaker and other technologies is that they are only
valuable when the address the real limits. Running high speed on a
segment of a network is interesting without addressing the architecture
of the cable distribution system and all the devices connecting the
segments. The real limiting factor is in the lack of (marketplace)
incentives to use the technology as part of creating innovative
solutions.

It's like deploying fire hoses that can carry ten times the amount of
water than is available from the pipes and then wondering why one can't
get 100 times the amount of water by just deploying 10 such hoses.

As the HDTV and ITV failures (or simple lack of deployment) have shown
there doesn't seem to be enough additional revenue in delivering more.
On the other hand if the architecture of the network gave the users the
capacity to create their own services then we have something very
interesting. But we already have the 10x improvements in technology, if
not the 1,000,000x. The availability of connectivity is restrained by
legacy business models, not by technology.

More on this in http://www.satn.org/about/separateconnectivity.htm

Bob Frankston
http://www.Frankston.com

and reply