Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Lawyers and The Increase in Chip Speed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 08:59:28 -0500

From: "Liam  Hemmings" <liam () lhemmings fsbusiness co uk>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dear Mr Farber

I was thinking about the increases in chip speeds and was wondering when
people will catch up. I had dinner last week with my old boss who is a
senior partner at a very large law firm based in the City of London. The
firm employes 1600 lawyers. All lawyers have a desktop, most a laptop, with
each computer being changed every 2-3 years. To support the technology there
is a technology department of 60. As a proportion the technology department
receives more funding than any other even discounting the cost of PC's.

A recent study of working practices t the firmfound that 85% of lawyers used
their PC's for a little bit of word processing, the odd power point
presentation, emailing their friends and browsing the internet at lunchtime.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/