Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE:Tragedy of the commons

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 08:41:57 -0500

From: "Andras Kelen" <kelena () ella hu>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dear Dr. Farber,

Certainly GOVERNING THE COMMONS, by Elinor Ostrum is the best book. But
there are emerging new contenders, too. This is to announce my new volume
published by Central European University Press that might be of interest,
even of relevance for your readers. I have tried to offset my intellectual
debt to numerous protagonists of IP by citing the list as a pioneer genre in
the acknowledgement field of the monograph. An honorary copy is expected to
have reached your department office at PennState [UPenn djf] back in December.
"The Gratis Economy" is a series of three essays on the social construction
of gratuities. My scientific quest is to treat the gratutity-generating
business solutions of the New Economy in a common framework with parallel
phenomena of the conventional nonprofit sector and of polity in general. I
claim to have arrived at a conceptual framework that facilitates a
sociological understanding. Such a broad policy approach alone encompassing
unexpected but strictly related phenomena can help reflect and shelter all
the remaining pockets of commons in contemporary economies.
"The Gratis Economy" has a homepage with ample samples and an epitome of
main findings, introducing the author, too. http://come.to/Gratis-Economy
Here is a direct link to the book at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9639241229/qid=1007456189/sr=1-10/ref
=sr_1_9_10/104-4949422-7822362

Sincerely,
Andras Kelen