Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Too much surveillance means too little freedom

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:09:27 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Liam  Hemmings" <liam () lhemmings fsbusiness co uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:37:56 -0000
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: more on Too much surveillance means too little  freedom

I am interested to read much of what you Americans have to say about
surveillance and freedom after 9/11. I live in the UK and we've had
terrorist problems here for what must be nearly 30 years. What I find most
encouraging about the US is that there is a debate about these issues. Over
here successive governments have enacted some pretty draconian laws in
response to terrorism and barely a peep is heard from the press or for that
matter the public. The simple fact that people are discussing these matters
openly and often angrily is a great sign of a healthy democracy.

You should perhaps compare yourselves with other nations to see how robust
you really are. For example, it is not possible for member of the UK
parliament to discuss the rights or wrongs of the British Monarchy in the
House of Commons. Honest.

I think it was Jefferson who said 'Give me dangerous freedom'.

Liam

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/