Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Too much surveillance means too little freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:11:01 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <rmfxixB () bobf Frankston com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I remember arriving at SFO (San Francisco Airport) unsure of which plane
to take-did I want to fly to Seattle or Boston that night. It was about
9PM so I needed to decide soon and I had open tickets I could use for
either one so I didn't have to decide till I walked up to the gate.
These days that would mark me as very suspicious or worse. Imagine my
having to explain to a security guard as I entered the airport that I
didn't know which coast I was flying to and didn't see why it was his
business and I did have at least half an hour to decide which coast.

I'm still mulling a longer set of 9/11 comments. I do remember the "duck
and cover" 1950's in New York. We assumed that the missile would be
aimed at Columbus Circle (59th and Broadway). 10 Megatons you might
survive, 100 don't bother. It was a time when we saw terrorists
everywhere and knew that they did in deed have weapons of mass
destruction and the means to deploy them and wouldn't limit themselves
to symbolic targets. While many did accept Joe McCarthy's claims
(slightly before my awareness), imagine if we had put all our energy
into bomb shelters and protection and didn't allow for any risk taking
and uncertainty?

As an aside, I remember Khrushchev's (USSR leader in the 1950's) son
(now a US citizen) talking on C-Span about his father's first visit to
the US. As basically a hick from the boondocks (to loosely translate
into American metaphors) he was surprised and shocked at the hostile
reception he got and the clear message was that he had better prepare to
defend himself.

The reason I haven't yet written my longer comments is that there are a
set of complex issues. The simple point is that it dangerous to try to
avoid risk either by fearing engagement with the world outside the US
(and thus letting problems fester) or the other extreme, by banning
uncertainty and tolerating free speech only as long as it isn't abused.
Alas, in email, I have to be explicit and point out that this is meant
to be read sarcastically.

Note that when I write on the Web I try very hard to avoid accidentally
using words like "foreign" and other implicitly US-centric language. The
concept of "free speech" is a subtle example since it is very much a US
term embodied in the (US) Constitution. In fact, it was added only as an
amendment. I personally consider it to be an early form of the Internet
in the sense that it shifted the onus of "dealing with it" from the
speaker to the listener. Innovation is almost by its nature disruptive
and thus likely to fail if permission is required (AKA prior restraint).
It's the danger that Larry Lessig points out as people try to make the
Internet "safe".

Bob Frankston
<http://www.Frankston.com>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see: