Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The FCC NPRM on the Broadcast Flag

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:56:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mike Anderson"<manders3 () columbus rr com>
Sent: 8/18/02 9:25:17 AM
To: "farber () cis upenn edu"<farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: The FCC NPRM  on the Broadcast Flag

I am interested in Ipers opinions on this -- for and against

Hi Dave,

I am against the Flag. We have had the ability - via analog equipment - to
copy and share the programming the broadcasters have provided lo these many
years - and there continues to be no problem to their profiting from the
programming they provide, no widespread looting of their intellectual
property. Why is that? Most people, if they copy content at all, do so as I
do - to time shift. We aren't home at 6:30 to watch Dan Rather, so we tape
him and watch him at 8:00. Same with a lot of programming. Am I going to
copy it and send it all over the world on the internet because it's HD and
the quality is better? No. What's the point? Most people are honest, it will
only be a fringe that trades content, whatever the content is...

Mike

(and feel free to attribute away)