Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: An Open letter to Dave Farber on the RIAA suit

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 07:23:11 -0400

Even though (or maybe because) this note is critical of me, I am forwarding
it to IP. I have only one comment at this time.

Cook says:

am not aware that a person from the internet side of the block and
the civil libertarian side of the bloc such as you would claim to be
has EVER publicly and legally sided with the intellectual property
folk....in any way shape of form....sided with them by saying the
way the net is run should be changed to accommodate them. Now you
have done so. Why?------

I doubt I am the only one. Civil liberty is a lot lot more than the right to
access some one else's music for free. To confuse these issues is, in my
mind, to seriously damage the cause of civil liberty especially in light of
the course the nation is going down.

As I said in my initial response, I believe that the egregious example of
that Chinese web site both exceeds any definition of fair and  provides an
test case for the use of DMCA (which I have stated often is a bad law). I
want the net to be the mainstay for future commerce and communications. If
it is to be that it needs either conform to current laws and or get those
laws changed.

Dave

Ps I have not agreed to be an expert witness nor was I paid to do the
affidavit,