Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Read both forwarded msgs -- INS Official statement re: Atrocities in American Airports

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 16:41:25 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:53:42 -0700
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: FYI re: Atrocities in American Airports

I just got off the phone with an INS spokesperson in the L.A. field office.

The most basic facts appear to be true.  The man is who he claims to be.
Yes, he did arrive at LAX as he says and yes, the INS did have problems with
his documentation.

The matter was investigated by the INS and with the Brazilian consulate back
in March.  The INS put out a statement then and they are faxing it to me in
a short while; I'll transcribe that fax and send it on to you here.

The INS spokesman said he was aware that the message was now flying around
the net.  "That's not exactly an accurate story," the spokesman said.

Apparently when the episode first happened the man went to the press, didn't
get the reaction he wanted so now he's taking it to the Internet, according
to the INS spokesman.

When I asked "does the INS have little cells like the message states?" I was
told "Yes we do have, of course we have detention areas. We feel that our
offices acted appropriately," the spokesman said.

More when I get it.

------ End of Forwarded Message