Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on Air Travel

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:38:55 -0400

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:44:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Lawrence Landweber <lhl () cs wisc edu>
To: dave () farber net

Dave

Some observations from a frequent flyer.

People are nervous. Tension is being maintained by continuous warnings
and predictions of possible future terrorist actions. U.S. government
officials and the media are both responsible. It is almost as if they want
to amplify fear and paranoia.

The reprehensible boarding denial incidents described in the NYT article
are a reflection of the current atmosphere of fear. We all should remember
the terrible deeds committed by our country on its Japanese citizens
as a result of such a climate of fear.

My view is that the average person will not feel comfortable with
commercial aviation until the government assumes responsibility
for security and demonstrates that the public can have
confidence. Today, airport security is still mostly handled by minimum
wage poorly trained people. I personally have heard of a good many examples
of undetected contraband.  Moreover, there is no assurance
that a marshal will be  on a particular flight. Cockpit doors have not been
strengthened. And jets are circling waiting to shoot down wayward
airliners.

Individuals are left with a feeling that security is up to them.  After
all,  last week they saw four airliners hijacked by small groups of lightly
armed men. So long as the government does not assume responsibility,
a vigilante atmosphere can take hold, as witnessed by recent events.

It is not enough for high government officials, most of whom travel
on U.S. government planes to tell us to fly. When was the last time
that Ashcroft or Rumsfeld or Powell or their top aides were on
commercial flights? A symbolic step would be to announce that all
govt officals and their families (except the president and vp)
will be flying commercially, and without armed escorts or special
security measures. Leaders should lead and that would certainly
provide more confidence to average people than platitudes about
saftety. But, of course, marshals, FBI agents or equivalent on ALL
flights, enhanced cockpit security and trained personnel doing
baggage checks would help even more!

Larry Landweber

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/