Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: POCKET PC A STEAMROLLER

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:49:31 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Thursday, September 20, 2001

Mobile computing commentary by Ephraim Schwartz

POCKET PC A STEAMROLLER

Posted September 14, 2001 01:01 PM  Pacific Time

I HAVE ALWAYS heard the faint rumbling in the
background, like the sound of a huge machine that just
won't go away. Now, as the rumbling gets more
distinct, like the sound of a waterfall as you get
closer and closer, I think the truth is undeniable.

Are you wondering what I'm talking about? Remember
WordPerfect? Remember Lotus 1-2-3?

Well, I'm betting that a few years from now a nostalgic
columnist will ask, Remember Palm?

United Parcel Service, in the midst of a $100 million
multiyear upgrade to its wireless LAN infrastructure,
will use Windows CE as the platform.

"We are a Windows shop with 5,000 IT people, primarily
Windows developers. It is natural to have them develop
the applications for the terminal," says David
Salzman, program manager at UPS Information Services.
Salzman is the man overseeing the switch from more
than nine different terminals and seven software
systems to a single Windows platform using 200,000
Pocket PC terminals from Symbol Technologies, in
Holtsville, N.Y.

What really has me convinced of the inevitability of
Pocket PC dominance isn't a single example, it is the
continuous incorporation of enterprise capabilities
into the embedded operating system.

Actually, Microsoft now has two embedded operating
systems. Far be it from me to pass judgment, but is
this technology or marketing? Regardless, you should
understand the difference between the two systems.

Talisker is the next version of Win CE, an embedded OS
whose components can be used in everything from
refrigerators to in-vehicle computing. Pocket PC 2002
is the next version of Win CE 3.0 and is the only OS
for the Pocket PC platform.

Pocket PC 2002, announced earlier this month, will
enable a Pocket PC 2002 handheld, such as the
"Hewlett-Packard" iPaq, to become a thin client
running in terminal emulation and using what was
formerly called the Citrix client. This will allow
users to access the network remotely and rapidly,
because it captures only keystrokes and sends them
back and forth.

The system also supports strong encryption and VPNs.

Talisker, still in beta with an expected release date
late in the fourth calendar quarter, will support
wireless technologies Bluetooth and Ethernet 802.11x,
the latter with Zero Configuration. Zero Configuration
will allow users to roam from one network or subnet to
another without having to sign off and sign on again.

Talisker has many more enterprise-level hooks built in
to it. Go to msdn.microsoft.com/embedded for a preview
version.

As corporate planners and developers get comfortable
with wireless connectivity and mobile devices, they
are demanding the kind of infrastructure capabilities
that Microsoft can offer, I believe, more readily than
Palm.

So, if you think I am under the hypnotic spell of
Microsoft, make my day and send an e-mail to ephraim_schwartz () infoworld com.

Ephraim Schwartz is an editor at large in InfoWorld's
news department. Get this column free via e-mail each
week. Sign up at http://www.iwsubscribe.com/newsletters.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/