Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: air travel

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:38:06 -0400

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:23:44 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>

On international travel, add not just the fear of being trapped in another country
should the air system shut down again, but the fear of all the border hassles.
I'm in the USA legally and flew to my native Canada yesterday but had 2nd thoughts
about extra border scrutiny, because INS agents have tremendous discretionary
power and appeal is difficult.

My plane, btw was about 1/3 full.  Normally it is full of people who flew from
asia to SFO who are connecting on to Toronto. Unlike myself, I got there 2 hours early which was a waste of time. There was a line of 4 people at check in, and
then about 2 minutes to get through security.

They asked for ID at security as well as check-in, pushing for passports. However, I insisted that a passport was not required for Canada-US travel and go through showing an INSPASS (not useful any more in the INSPASS scanners, they discontinued that last week) which was not scanned, just looked at. If you show your passport they scan
it in their reader.

At security, not much different. Perhaps a few more seconds with my bag in the x-ray. I was scanned again with a wand, but others were not, may be random checking. For the first time I was also gently frisked at ankles and back, because the detector
was set off by my suspenders.  Consent was asked.

On the flight the most amazing announcement. "Feel free to use your cell phones on
board, however, they will probably stop working at 15,000 feet."

I asked the Captain, and he said it was Captain's discretion about use of phones. As we all know, they are not actually a danger -- millions of cell phones are left
on in jacket pockets on flights, but it was good to see them be open about it.
Perhaps the cell phone as the technological hero of the downed flight has made
a real change?   This was a United Airlines flight.

I talked to the FAs and gently asked if they had known some people on UA93. Even I was shocked as they casually then bantered about a woman they knew who was "such
a nice person" and then wondered, "Is she the one they slit the throat of?  We
heard they slit the throats of flight attendants" in cheery, flight attendant voice.

This on the same flight that they pulled all copies of the United magazine from
because it contained a picture of the WTC towers, pre-attack!

We had the same plastic knives that you can bend in a circle that people
complained about, but a metal fork.

Final note -- One passenger, coming from 2 months in China, was ill with some sort of allergic reaction. I think he ended up OK, but it was actually good for the passengers because it allowed us to land at an airport otherwise temporarily closed
for bad thunderstorms.  But to help him, they got out an oxygen cylinder.  And
I started thinking, if you want a weapon, a cylinder of compressed oxygen could be pretty dangerous. All you have to do is say you are ill and they will deliver it.
Another way we can never really stop weapons from getting on planes.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/