Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Australia Diary # 4 of 4

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 04:39:16 -0400

I am writing this on the UA flight back to LAX/PHL. The last  day and a
half in Brisbane was crowded and interesting. I had a great Chinese dinner
(Davids) with the senior management of eglobal. Mark White of eglobal. was
the organizer of much of the activities I had in Brisbane. eglobal.is very
active in China and I got a very good set of insights into Chinese IT. The
next morning I was the speaker at a breakfast meeting sponcered by AIIA -
Australian Information Industries Association. There were 290 active awake
people at the meeting. -- at 730 in the morning. After some pcture taking
for the press off we went to the Gold Coast. It looks like Miami without
Cuban restaurants.  High rises, homes of manmade rivers but with good
beaches and suffers. After an interview on ABC  the Australian Broadcasting
Company, I gave a First Tuesday chat at a new industrial park. residential
complex being built near Bond Univ by a combination of the city and private
funds. It features fiver to the office and home. Lots of interaction --
very vigorous. A late Greek seafood dinner at Georges and a drive back to
our hotel wrapped up a busy day.

We wre invited back to Brisbane in May for a conference they are organizing
by the Engineering society and the Mayor so we will get another chance to
enjoy Brisbane, the Stamford Plaza, the food and most the great people who
liver there. We also expect to go to Perth then

Oh what I would give for a supersonic jet that could make US toAU run. It
is LONG.

Dave

. .

 From Jim Soorley,the Lord Mayors of Brisbane's office -- Matthew
Cox  Adviser to the Lord Mayor

I have attached a document which sets out in broad terms what we are
trying to do in Brisbane.  One of the main initiatives is the city portal
- www.ourbrisbane.com which is in its first, fairly basic, incarnation
currently.  We hope to add content and functionality pretty rapidly over
the next 12 months.  What we are also trying to do is develop online
villages which mirror the actual urban precincts which exist in our
city.  Part of the vision is to provide a holistic village portrait that
captures the non-commercial interaction of a local community - sports,
societies, local fetes, local notices etc - as well as its business
activity.   We see it first and foremost as an economic and community
development tool, second as a tool to improve government accessibility and
responsiveness and third as a business enterprise which may generate a
return at some point in the future.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/