Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Privacy Flaw Found at Verizon Wireless Site

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:39:24 -0400

Damn and I use this djf

Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:38:30 -0400
To: dave  Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Brian McWilliams <brian () pc-radio com>
Subject: Privacy Flaw Found at Verizon Wireless Site

FYI ...

Privacy Flaw Found at Verizon Wireless Site
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169729.html

Verizon Wireless is leaking private information about cell phone customers
who use its Web site, Newsbytes has confirmed.

The privacy flaw, discovered by a Seattle software developer, enables
unauthorized individuals to browse customer account information, including
billing details.

Using instructions posted Saturday by Marc Slemko to a security mailing
list, Newsbytes was able to pull up detailed billing records of Verizon
Wireless customers who use the firm's My Account service.

Brian Wood, executive director of corporate communications, said Verizon
Wireless is still investigating the validity and scope of the problem.

"If our investigations uncover a security lapse, we will take immediate
action to fix it," said Wood.

Verizon Wireless has 28 million customers, an undisclosed number of which
use the company's Web site to manage their accounts, said Wood.

Slemko, a founding member of the Apache Software Foundation, said he
decided to go public with his discovery after reporting the privacy flaw
to the wireless carrier two weeks ago and receiving no reply.

[snip]

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/