Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Life of Compaq

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:19:12 -0400

From: "John F. McMullen" <johnmac () acm org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: The Life of Compaq
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:48:43 -0400

I was very close to Compaq Computer Corporation, as both an observer and a
journalist. in its early days and offer the following recollections as the
firm is absorbed into Hewlett Packard.

Barbara McMullen and I were both employees of Morgan Stanley (I was what was
then called "Director of Data Processing" and Barbara was a Project Manager
in the Systems area) when Ben Rosen was the Electronics Industry Analyst and
the author of the "Morgan Stanley Electronic Letter". Shortly after Barbara
and I left MS to form "McMullen & McMullen, Inc.", Ben also left and formed
"Rosen Research" and began publication of the "Rosen Electronics Letter"
(the forerunner of Esther Dyson's "RELease 1.0"). We stayed close to Ben,
attending his Personal Computer Forums and beta-testing "1-2-3", the second
product of one of Sevin-Rosen's early venture capital efforts, "Lotus
Development Corp."

When the IBM-PC was introduced, other firms immediately attempted to copy or
clone its semi-open architecture (It had the BASIC kernel in ROM) with
Columbia and Eagle being initial entrants. These companies were faced with
two major problems:
1. It became apparent that they did not run the leading business program for
the "PC", "1-2-3" because Lotus had bypassed the operating system to greatly
enhance speed. The clone makers put their head in the sand and said "When
Lotus conforms to the standard, it will run properly on our machine"
2. The IBM PC was sold by IBM's own stores, Sears, and Computer Land and
certain large independents (Datel and SuperBusiness in New York and
ComputerWorks in Westport, CT were some of the early ones). None of these
stores carried the clones, leaving them to the second line stores ("Do you
have that IBM-PC?" .. "Let me show you something even better -- a Columbia"
.. "Ok .. and I'd like to see '1-2-3'" ... "Well, that doesn't run on the
Columbia" .. "Well, then show me the IBM" .. "Well ,, ah .. we don't have
them" ... door closing).

Then along came Compaq, another Sevin-Rosen company. At the press
conference, Ben and Compaq president Rod Canion introduced the Compaq
Portable saying that "It would run all business software that runs on the
IBM-PC (including, of course, the product from the other Sevin-Rosen
company, Lotus Development). It will be our business to make it run all
business software"

They also announced that it would be carried in Sears and Computerland as
well as by the major independents because "We are not in competition with
IBM. Its make a wonderful machine but it really locked to a desktop and
today's executives travel. We feel that executives and sales personnel will
want to have both an IBM PC for the office and a Compaq portable for the
road".

I had one of the first two Compaq Portables in the New York area. When it
arrived, I was on the way out to give a talk on personal computer. I picked
it up and took it and some 1-2-3 diskettes with me and used it as a demo --
the first time that I ever had a computer of any size run (with no plug-ins
other than the power cord) right out of the box.

On the heels of the Compaq Portable came the Compaq Plus with a hard disk
and Compaq became the first corporation in history to do $100 million of
gross in its first year.

Not long after that, Barbara and I went out to Houston for a preview of
Compaq's first desk computer, the "Deskpro" with an 8086 processor. We did a
cover story for "Computers and Electronics" (The successor to "Popular
Electronics", the magazine that launched the personal computer age with Les
Solomon's cover story on the "Altair") on the Deskpro which came out the day
of the launch.

At the launch's press conference, the Compaq leadership was tweaked with "We
thought you weren't going to compete with IBM on the desktop" which became a
perfect lead-in to "Well, we hadn't planned to but our portable users were
demanding better performance than IBM was providing so we felt that we had
to step in"

While the Deskpro was a faster machine with nice features, the standard was
still in the hand of IBM and it remained there through the next generation,
the "AT" or 80286, but when Compaq became the first company to introduce an
80386-based machine, the standard passed, not to Compaq but to Microsoft.

Compaq continued innovation with the ill-received "TeleCompaq" (I still have
2), the first PC to integrate telephony with a computer. While the market
response was underwhelming, Compaq cut its losses early and moved on.

When HP (with the HP Portable and Portable Plus) and Data General (the DG
One) lead the industry into the Intel-based laptop area, Compaq help back
and, when I queried Ben Rosen about its slow entry, he maintained that "We
will wait until we can to it right and obtain a significant market" -- which
it did.

Compaq, with HP and Casio, jumped early into the Windows CE market and it
"iPAQ" is a very impressive machine (and has non-compatible connections with
the HP Jornada -- so we will look for a winner in one of the first
foreseeable turf battles of the new firm).

So now -- Lotus is part of IBM; Compaq is part of Hewlett-Packard; Computers
& Electronic Magazine is no more; IBM is out of the retail desktop business
and is the leading proponent of LINUX; ComputerLand, Datel, SupersBusiness,
and ComputerWorks are no more ... and, in the words of Billy Pilgrim, "and
so it goes"

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" - Pierre
Abelard
"Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
John F. McMullen
johnmac () acm org ICQ: 4368412 Fax: (603) 288-8440
http://www.westnet.com/~observer
http://www.johnmac.net

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/