Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Smart use of tax dollars best boost for national security by Dab Gilmor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:40:51 -0400

BY DAN GILLMOR
Mercury News Technology Columnist

OK, we're in trouble. Now let's get a grip, recognizing that panic is the enemy of clarity, and find a way to turn turmoil to our long-range advantage.

America is poised to spend uncounted billions of dollars to boost our national security. We plainly need to make an investment.

But if we are smart we'll remember that national security is about more than weapons and spies -- that economic and social stability are national-security issues, too.

We should use this opportunity to invest in things that will help us years and decades from now, not just tomorrow and next month. On any list of such national investments, three stand out for me right now: public health, decentralized communications and energy independence. All have strong technology components and also would ultimately be economic boosts for the nation. Despite a belated recognition late in the Clinton presidency that the nation's public health system was grossly unprepared for potential, now real, threats to America, we are far from having a system that can protect us from or properly respond to known dangers, much less new ones being concocted by mass murderers out there.

Medicine makes progress in all wars, a sad but real effect of slaughter. Emergency care has gotten vastly better because of treatment of battlefield trauma, for example.

Being prepared in the new war means more than stockpiling drugs and vaccines that may or may not work with certain diseases. It means developing a public-health system that has vastly better capacity to discover, treat and then prevent outbreaks set off by terrorists.

The progress we've seen in bioengineering and biotechnology, both of which increasingly rely on information technology, is heartening. Start-ups and big companies are on the verge of creating the tools we must develop to deal with disease or chemically created outbreaks.

The benefits would extend beyond managing bioterrorism. If we can have a system this agile and robust, we'll be better prepared for all kinds of medical trouble and ultimately have in place a structure to support a vastly healthier America in a general way.

Creating a nationwide broadband network is less obviously a national-security issue. Here's the rationale, and a prescription for getting it done.

The need to decentralize is plain enough, given the logical tendency of terrorists to attack targets where they can create the most death and destruction of property -- the latter including data without which companies cannot continue -- in one evil act. Maintaining communications during crises is essential, and the best way to do it is to make sure that attacks or natural catastrophes can't wipe out major portions of the communications grid.

We also know that tomorrow's economy will be based in large part on information. Fail-safe broadband communications would give us vastly more flexibility in the way we work, learn and, yes, play. New industries would emerge and help drive the economy forward.

America should resolve to build fiber-optic connections to virtually every home and business. The taxpayers should pay for this, but the government should not control the result. It should ensure that we all have the connections we need, and then get out of the way as entrepreneurs and big companies alike light up the fiber.

Our energy mess is ongoing and appalling. America depends on sources of energy that are both interruptible and non-renewable.

Technology can help solve this, if we resolve to build a system that relies first on conservation and then on renewable energy sources. We need to curb our thirst for oil. And we need to rely on decentralized, micro-power plants, not the massive plants and power lines that are so vulnerable to attacks.

These are investments, not pork-barrel schemes. And we should pay for them the old-fashioned way -- by investing our tax dollars.

The first step, but probably not the last one, should be to rescind the outrageous, unbalanced tax cuts for the rich that were enacted earlier this year. That idea will infuriate the selfish few who are getting the most benefits from the cuts, but I hope they'll remember something.

This is a national emergency. Bin Laden and his associates want to kill us and bring down the world economy. These murderers and zealots think we Americans are soft, that in our selfish penchant for SUVs and bigger houses and luxuries, we are going to wilt under the pressure. We should be willing to make some sacrifices in this war -- and that means more than just waiting in long lines at airports.

I stand to benefit personally from the tax cuts. But I would much rather invest in America's health, communications and energy independence, just as the nation invested in battleships during World War II and the interstate highway system a decade later, than have more spare cash.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/