Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re Two points of View from Down Under -- one pro, one con

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:25:07 -0400

te: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:59:53 -0500
From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () home com>

Interesting. I had found the author's gratuitous left-bashing annoying, unnecessary to the theme of his article - and yet I still feel he may be on to something. I am not sure what the outcome of all this will be, but it is possible that the tactical brilliance of the Sept 11 attacks is hiding their strategic stupidity.

It's a pretty hard act to follow - we are ready for airliner attacks, and if nothing else stops them, it looks like the passengers will. What do they do for an encore? This anthrax is driving us a bit nuts, but it doesn't seem to be having any effects that would please bin Laden. As has been pointed out, the media and political celebrities don't open their own mail. Is killing a few postal workers a strategy? The possibility exists that bin Laden succeeded on Sept 11 beyond his wildest dreams, now what does he do for an encore?

Consider this: for at least eight years, Islamic militants seem to have had an obsession about the World Trade Center. Why? Did they think that by destroying it, they would be landing a mortal blow not only to the people who worked there but to America itself? If so, they certainly did misunderstand their enemy.

Yes, the bin Ladenists are dangerous and must be stopped, but is it possible that we are crediting them with genius they do not, in fact, possess?

When all is said and done, these forms of terrorism never seem to accomplish anything but strengthening the hand of the forces the terrorists oppose. For example, even though the Weathermen operated in a sea of hostility to the government and its war in Vietnam, who in the end actually followed their crazy lead?

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/