Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: absolutist ideology

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:44:45 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:44:17 -0400
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>

Dave,

Greg Palast's recent articles on Nobel prize winner Joe Stiglizt and on the IMF's results in Argentina are chilling. If true, they make the World Bank and I.M.F. equivalent to the Taliban in so far as they believe they can impose salvation upon the non-believers and the infidels. In this case it is an economic 'religion'. It is the ultimate expression of a top down, centralized, paradigm for wealth and power. Further, the more this centralized paradigm comes under attack from the new paradigm of decentralization and distribution, ala the Internet, or renewable resources, the more rigid the centralists become. And the more fearful. And more desperately dangerous. The paradox is that our new non state terrorists are members of a closed network and are rigid believers in an absolute ideology but are using the means of a decentralized and distributed open network. Perhaps in this internal contradiction they are sowing the seeds of their own destruction?

In any case, I find this disturbing:

"Stiglitz greatest concern is that World Bank plans, devised in secrecy and driven by an absolutist ideology, are never open for discourse or dissent."

Stiglitz's solution sounds remarkably like Hernando DeSoto, who promotes clear title to land.

"So then I turned on Stiglitz. OK, Mr Smart-Guy Professor, how would you help developing nations? Stiglitz proposed radical land reform, an attack at the heart of "landlordism," on the usurious rents charged by the propertied oligarchies worldwide, typically 50% of a tenant's crops."

So I suspect that until we root out and acknowledge our own Taliban-like players, ranging from Jerry Falwell, to The World Bank, to our very own The Army of God, and other "true believers" in absolutist dogmas, we will be in for a long and difficult time. Members of closed networks who truly believe they can impose salvation upon non believers have been at the root of many a bloody episode.

Until we do this, we are little more than the pot calling the kettle black. And until we can acknowledge the beam in our own eye, it is difficult to see how we can truly know our enemy.

In the end, I think the the election in 2000 was at least in part about the fearful absolutists willing to do anything to fight off the threat from the new paradigm of distributed and decentralized solutions. The old 18th century fight between the Federalists and the Republicans. Isn't it odd that today's so called Federalist Society is in complete opposition to everything that Hamilton and the original Federalist stood for, at least with respect to the role of the Federal government?

Perhaps it is useful to think about centralized energy solutions, fossil fuels, vs decentralized and renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and fuel cells. Or the opposing philosophies of Bill Gates and Richard Stahlman might provide a more trenchant example. Is the Linux movement representative of a middle ground?

Regards,

Jock

http://www.gregpalast.com./

The Observer, London October 10, 2001
by Greg Palast

JOE STIGLITZ: THE GLOBALIZER WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

TODAY'S WINNER OF THE NOBEL PRIZE IN ECONOMICS

The World Bank's former Chief Economist's accusations are eye-popping -
including how the IMF and US Treasury fixed the Russian elections

"It has condemned people to death," the former apparatchik told me. This
was like a scene out of Le Carre. The brilliant old agent comes in from
the cold, crosses to our side, and in hours of debriefing, empties his
memory of horrors committed in the name of a political ideology he now
realizes has gone rotten.

And here before me was a far bigger catch than some used Cold War spy.
Joseph Stiglitz was Chief Economist of the World Bank. To a great extent,
the new world economic order was his theory come to life.

I "debriefed" Stigltiz over several days, at Cambridge University, in a
London hotel and finally in Washington in April 2001 during the big confab
of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. But instead of
chairing the meetings of ministers and central bankers, Stiglitz was kept
exiled safely behind the blue police cordons, the same as the nuns
carrying a large wooden cross, the Bolivian union leaders, the parents of
AIDS victims and the other 'anti-globalization' protesters. The ultimate
insider was now on the outside.

In 1999 the World Bank fired Stiglitz. He was not allowed quiet
retirement; US Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, I'm told, demanded a
public excommunication for Stiglitz' having expressed his first mild
dissent from globalization World Bank style.

Here in Washington we completed the last of several hours of exclusive
interviews for The Observer and BBC TV's Newsnight about the real, often
hidden, workings of the IMF, World Bank, and the bank's 51% owner, the US
Treasury.

And see also:  < http://www.gregpalast.com./printerfriendly.cfm?artid=96 >
Who Shot Argentina? The Finger Prints On the Smoking Gun Read 'I.M.F.'
Inside Corporate America

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/